Monday, June 29, 2015

Tovu Tovu


Tovutovu defiantly feels like home. The owner, Alan, and his family have took us in as part of their own. The waitress is also named Elizabeth so that automatically makes her the coolest person ever. I'm not much of an egg eater, actually I rarely eat eggs and if I do its an omelette covered in hot sauce. But the eggs here are SOOO good! I don't know if its because they are fresh or something but whatever it is is really good. On the first full day we woke up around 6:30, ate, and had a meeting where we discussed Fijian vocabulary. There was like 20 vocab words but all I manage to get out of the meeting was Bula(hello) and vinaka(thank you). We then decided to ditch the plans for the day and go to an annul rugby tournament that is held. It was awesome. There were around 500 people there full of rugby spirit. This was my first real time shooting on manual and believe me its the most complicated thing ever. I really didn't know anything about photography before this trip, I didn't even know manual was a thing. I know have grown so much respect for photographers. After rugby we attempted to go to the national park to see waterfalls but after we had already driven like an hour we had to turn around because the road was flooded. On the way back we went to the sulu store. A sulu is a traditional Fijian skirt that women wear all the time and men on special occasion in the village. I bought 2, one cute and one for working in. For dinner we went to this really nice resort. When we arrived men were already sitting in a circle waiting for us so we could have our 1st Kava ceremony. I had heard a lot about Kava and Bora and I were really excited. Kava is a Fijian drink and its really hard to explain so heres a wikipedia link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava. I drank a lot of high tides but shotout to Claire Siroky for never stopping. She would always put her hand up everytime the guy asked who wants more. The fish was really good. Alex Long tried to slide the fact that he can play the harmonica in the convo and I caught what he was doing and told the men he could play. Of course he had it with him and he was forced to play it. He busted out Hey Jude, I think Overall the night was great and I got to get to know my fellow travelers really well. The next day was probably the best day of my life. We went to Allen's family's church. The sermon was amazing. I remember thinking during the service how awesome it was that people on the other side of the world sing the same songs as my church does. Its just incredible. The minister talked about if people ask who you are the answer is "I'm the son of god!". That guy was awesome. We then went to the waterfalls which was the coolest thing Ive done. I goproed the first waterfall. It was beautiful. These medical missionaries were there too and they were climbing up the waterfall and jumping off and  it looked so fun. We all climbed up there which was actually such a dangerous climb. Thats when I started getting cuts that turned into infection later. So we got to the top and we were about to jump then Lisa came running after us and told us its too dangerous to jump and if someone got hurt a helicopter wouldn't be able to land. We were all pissed. The walk down was defiantly way more dangerous the jumping down. Whatever the waterfall was still sick. To get to the next waterfall we would have to take a 5 mile hike. It was raining and I had already ate it 2 times. I'm not a clumsy person I just kind of don't pay attention to my feet. The first time I fell it was hilarious. I was midway saying "roughing it in Fiji" to my go pro and completely ate poop. Meghan and Chase couldn't stop laughing. It was funny though. The 2nd time was not funny. It was raining and I was attempting to interview Alex Cooper and rolled my ankle really bad. Everyone say including my go pro. It hurt so bad. I have a weak ankle so this happens a lot but I really didn't feel like going on the 5 mile hike. Lisa gave us th option to stay back and not go and Ms. Simon, Ms. Hartman, and Alex C decided to stay. I was really thinking about staying but then I was like Im in freaking Fiji and I don't want to miss out on anything I need to toughen up. I'm so glad I went. The hike was soooooooooo fun! Jacob and I walked together and sang beyonce with Angie, a villager. It was awesome. On the way Jacob started running down a wet hill so of course I did too and we both completely ate it, again recorded on go pro. We got to the waterfall and it was beautiful. You have to swim up current to get to it and it was a tough swim. We got there and it was awesome. Overall I loved this day and the hike. This was also the day we started making the music video. I also had a pretty interested dinner with Jamison. I don't think Ive ever had so much fun. This was the day I realized how much I love Fiji and how incredible that I got to go here. The rest of the days at Tovutovu were chill. I worked on photography and before we knew it we were off the village.


Church service
dinner @ resort

kids at rugby

waterfall hike




me and Jamison goofing off

No comments:

Post a Comment