Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day 1 - BULA FIJI!


After long days of travel, and being the only person on the plane who didn't sleep on the 10 hour flight, we finally arrived in Nadi, Fiji. Some of the group immediately had to go on the next plane to Taveuni while others, including myself, had to wait in Nadi for a couple hours for the next flight. While waiting, we went to Smugglers Cove hotel and hung out. Within the first seconds I was on the beach, a 70 year old Fijian man approached me and was claiming he could climb coconut trees. Media and I watched him climb up the huge coconut tree and chop some down for us. His name was Johnny the coconut guy, we took great pics with him. After eating lunch there we headed back to the airport and flew on the smallest plane I’ve ever been on to the other island. The flight was really scary. It was very windy and they even had to weigh us and our bags before in order to balance the plane. On the ride I sat next to Bora, one of the most funny guys Ive ever met. He fell asleep during the plane but before we took off he told me how scared he was of crashing. When we were landing I woke him up and pointed down and said “going down”. I guess he thought we were crashing and his face was priceless. After laughing so hard at the small little airport (aka shack) we headed to our “resort”, Tovutovu. We all got put into little bungalows. The bungalow I shared with Alex, Mariam, Madiha, and Katie was defiantly the nicest out of them all. We were the only ones who had hot water, a wash machine, and a lot of space. After settling and getting to know the Nat Geo leaders, Brett and Lisa, we were orientated in and ate dinner. Brett (http://www.brettmonroegarner.com) is a 27 Californian who has a masters in Marine Biology and is a great photographer.  First looking at Brett I immediately thought the trip would be fun because we just got to look at him. He is basically a traveling Hobo, but a very attractive traveling hobo. Lisa (http://www.lisahornak.com/#!/about) is 33 and is a very successful photojournalist from the east cost. She also teaches yoga and is in amazing shape. She seems very energetic and an awesome person. Overall, this trip looks like a great experience and from looking at it now I’m very excited to learn from the Nat Geo leaders and hopefully become a great photographer.








 
*fyi on my blog posts I'll prob include some iPhone pics of the day*

No comments:

Post a Comment